Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
"Everyone says my Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs are really good--better than those from a famous rib restaurant."
- 2 quarts sauerkraut
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large apple, cored and diced (skin on)
- Water (enough to cover the sauerkraut)
- 2 pounds country pork ribs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large roaster, combine the sauerkraut, brown sugar, onion, and apple. Add enough water to reach the top of the sauerkraut. Place the ribs on top. Cover and cook for 4 hours. Check occasionally to be sure the water has not evaporated, and add more water, 1 cup at a time, if needed. Uncover the ribs and cook for an additional hour.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen:
It is important to maintain the water level, so that the sauerkraut is not overcooked. This dish is very simple to prepare and is excellent with potatoes.
Janet Harpst, Greenville, Pa.