Sweet-and-Sour Shrimp and Peppers
- Yield 10 servings
Serve this colorful low-fat shrimp dish on top of Bibb lettuce or a platter or mounded individually on plates.
This delicious combination can even be tossed with fresh cooked pasta for a starter or main course.
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds medium uncooked shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced green bell pepper
- Combine the brown sugar, mustard, ginger, vinegar, water, Worceshershire sauce and olive oil in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the brown sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until the shrimp turn pink. Transfer the shrimp mixture to a bowl, add the peppers, and toss well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 3 hours. Drain the shrimp mixture, discarding the liquid, and serve.