Sweet and Sour Meatless Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
A workhorse of a vegetable, cabbage is rich in nutrients and vitamin C. Here it stars in Chef Steve Petusevsky’s mother’s cabbage rolls.
- Stuffed Cabbage:
- -- Water
- 1 large head green cabbage, very outer leaves discarded, core removed
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups soy burger mixture
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- -- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- Sweet and Sour Soup:
- 1 -- (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 -- (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 -- bay leaves
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper spice
- To make cabbage: Bring a large pot of water to a boil for blanching cabbage leaves. Have a large bowl filled with ice and water next to stove for cooling and "shocking" leaves. Blanching makes them soft enough to roll.
- When water boils, add whole head of cabbage and let cook until outer leaves fall off. Using tongs, place these leaves in ice water to cool and repeat this process until most outer green leaves are removed and blanched. You will get 15 to 18 leaves depending on size of head.
- Remove remaining cabbage from pot, cool and chop into small pieces; set aside for soup.
- Place 1 cup water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add rice, stir and cover saucepan; bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes until water evaporates. Rice will still be hard, only half-cooked. Place on a plate until it is cool enough to handle. When rice is cooled, mix it with soy meat, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper.
- Drain cabbage leaves and lay flat on a work surface. If there are large stems or veins at bases of leaves, remove them. Place about 1/4 cup filling near center and bottom of each leaf. Fold in sides and roll from bottom to top to form a small package.
- Place rolls, seam side down, in a 10-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, stacking them gently if necessary to make them fit.
- To make soup: Mix all ingredients including chopped cabbage heart in a nonreactive large bowl; pour over cabbage rolls in pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover and simmer 50 minutes until rice in filling is cooked and a soupy sauce forms.