Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
A recipe sure to take the nip out of the air, this recipe combines onions, caraway seeds, vinegar and cabbage in a heady soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (2-pound) head cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped or crushed tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup lemon juice or 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 6 cups water or tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, caraway seeds and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add cabbage and continue to saute 1 minute longer. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until vegetables are tender, adding additional water if soup appears too thick.