Sweet-and-Sour Baked Beans
- Yield: 12 servings
- 3/4cup packed brown sugar
- 1teaspoon dry mustard
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup vinegar
- 3-- onions, sliced and coarsely chopped
- 1-- (16-ounce) can lima beans, drained
- 1-- (16-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2-- (16-ounce) cans baked beans
- 8-- slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4-- slices bacon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine the brown sugar, dry mustard, garlic powder, salt and vinegar in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine the onions and brown sugar mixture in a skillet. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add the lima beans, kidney beans, baked beans and crumbled bacon and mix well. Spoon into a 3-quart baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange the uncooked bacon slices over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Dallas Junior Forum’s Tuxedos to Tailgates (Dallas Junior Forum of Richardson, Texas, 2003).