Sweet and Garlicky Pork Chops
- Yield: 4 servings
A thai-style barbecue that works well with pork loin or chops. Great for summer nights!
- 4 (1-inch thick) or 8 (1/2-inch thick) pork chops (2 pounds total)
- 1 head garlic, broken into cloves and peeled
- 3tablespoons sugar
- 1/3cup Asian fish sauce or soy sauce
- 3tablespoons honey
- 3tablespoons rice wine
- 2tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Make 1 or 2 cuts in fat side of each chop to prevent curling.
- In a food processor, combine garlic and sugar; process to a paste. Add fish sauce, honey, wine, sesame oil, ginger, salt and pepper. Spread over both sides of chops, place chops in baking dish, cover and marinate in refrigerator 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to high. Brush and oil grill grate. Place chops on grate and grill until brown 6 to 8 minutes per side for thick chops and half that time for thin, or until temperature on an instant-read thermometer is 160F.
Adapted from The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen (Workman, 1998).