Swedish Butter Cookies (Mandel Kakor)
- Yield: 70 pieces
These cookies have an ounce of almond extract—it may seem like a lot, but we found it to be just right. They’re shaped and baked like biscotti, but one bite will tell you they are butter cookies. Cook longer for crisper cookies and shorter for chewier cookies.
- 1cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1cup sugar
- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1ounce almond extract
- 3tablespoons cream
- 1-- egg, beaten
- -- Swedish pearl sugar or cake decorating sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Using a mixer at medium-high speed, beat until light. Add flour, baking powder and salt; beat well. Add almond extract and heavy cream. Mix well.
- Turn dough out and work into a ball. Cut into 4 portions and shape each into a ball. Flatten each ball into a 4-inch circle. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Place dough rounds on a baking sheet. Brush tops with beaten egg. Sprinkle pearl sugar on top.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Decrease oven temperature to 300F.
- Cut each round into 10 slices, then cut each slice in half (except the short ends). Return to oven and bake 20 minutes for crispy cookies or 10 minutes for chewier cookies. Makes about 70 cookies.
Recipe courtesy of Erica Schultz, December 2009.