Chicken and Spaghetti Bake
- Yield servings
Whole-wheat spaghetti forms a bed for chicken and vegetables, soaking up all the delicious juices.
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti, cooked
- 1 -- egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 -- green pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 -- onion, roughly chopped
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can mushrooms
- 1/2 to 1 cup water or chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
- -- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray
- Mix cooked spaghetti, parmesan cheese and beaten egg together and pour into prepared pan.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Lightly salt cut up chicken and add to oil in pan. Saute over medium heat until chicken is cooked through (about 6-8 minutes). Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add the remaining oil and chopped garlic, peppers and onions. Saute until vegetables are soft but do not brown. Add mushrooms, tomatoes and water. Bring to boil and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper (to taste), anise seed, basil and oregano and simmer over low heat for another 10-15 minutes.
- Layer chicken on top of spagetthi in baking pan and cover with the cooked sauce. Top with mozzerella cheese and bake 30 minutes.