Supreme Chicken Salad
- Yield 8 servings
"This family recipe has been passed down through four generations. My great-grandmother brought it from Nova Scotia. It's a hit wherever it's served."
- 2 whole boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper to taste
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 small onion, quartered
- Place chicken breasts in a saucepan and cover with water. Boil with celery stalk and onion for about 20 minutes until chicken is done. Set aside to cool.
- Drain and discard seasoned vegetables.
- Chop cooked chicken in a food processor or meat grinder. Combine remaining ingredients with chicken in a medium-sized bowl. Season according to taste.
- Serve chilled on Romaine lettuce for a low-carbohydrate meal.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Add 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, parsley or tarragon, or a tablespoon of brown mustard for some extra zip. This recipe is excellent served with fresh tomatoes.
—Beverly Colglazier, Phelan, Calif.