Superb Red Pepper Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
- 6medium red bell peppers, halved
- 1/2cup butter
- 1large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1large baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 2medium firm pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 (32-ounce) package chicken broth
- 1tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 2cups sour cream
- Parsley sprigs
- Preheat broiler. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Arrange bell peppers, cut side down, on baking sheet. Broil 4 inches from heat source until peppers are blackened and blistered, about 14 minutes. Remove peppers to a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand 20 minutes. Peel peppers, discarding seeds, skin, and stems; coarsely chop.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 10 minutes. Stir in carrots; cook 10 minutes. Add peppers, potato, pears and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add parsley.
- Working in 1-cup batches, puree soup in a blender. Return soup to Dutch oven and reheat over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with cour cream and parsley sprigs.
—Elenor Greenly, Levittown, Pa.