Super Duper Oatmeal Pancakes
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
These pancakes are made with whole-wheat flour and oatmeal and topped with naturally sweet nectarines and plums.
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries and apricots
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -- egg
- 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups chopped fresh nectarines and plums, as topping
- 4 to 6 tablespoons honey
- Heat oven to 200F. Combine flours, oats, dried cranberries and apricots, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and milk; stir in the cooked oatmeal until just incorporated. Mix oatmeal with dry ingredients, stirring gently; don’t over mix. Consistency should be that of thick pancake batter; if needed, add more milk or whole-wheat flour, a little at a time, as needed.
- Put a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. When a few drops of water skid across the surface, add a very thin film of oil and let it become hot. Spoon out the batter to make desired size pancakes.
- Cook until bubbles form on the top, about 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully flip over pancakes and cook until they’re browned on each side, 2 to 3 minutes more. As they finish, put them on a plate and hold in the oven while cooking remaining pancakes.
- Serve with fresh fruit and honey.