Super Bowl Sunday Scones
- Yield servings
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup currants (optional)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry knife or a food processor until crumbly. Add currants, if using, and mix gently to distribute.
- Pour buttermilk over flour mixture and stir with a fork or pulse in food processor until the dough gathers into a sticky ball. Do not over mix or the scones will be tough.
- On a floured surface, gently pat dough to 1/2-inch thick. Cut into 3-inch rounds using a floured cutter. Reshape leftover scraps with your fingers and cut more rounds. Discard any remaining dough.
- Place rounds 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Charmian Christie