- Yield: 6 servings
- 2medium red bell peppers, roasted
- 1large onion, finely chopped
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 to 5cups milk
- 1cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4teaspoon Tabasco sauce or to taste
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- -- Black pepper
- Puree the roasted red peppers in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Cook the onion in the butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until soft, stirring constantly. Add the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the grits and 4 cups of the milk. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the milk is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining milk if needed. Simmer, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in red pepper puree, Parmesan cheese, Tabasco sauce and salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Mobile, Bay Tables (Junior League of Mobile, 1999)