Sunrise French Toast
- Yield 12 servings
Tart apples and dried cranberries awaken traditional French toast.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 -- tart apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or raisins, or both
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 6 -- eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- -- Confectioners' sugar
- Combine the brown sugar, butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Add the apples and cranberries. Toss to coat well. Spread the mixture over the bottom of the dish. Arrange the bread slices on top.
- Mix the eggs, milk, vanilla and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a bowl. Pour over the bread. Chill, covered, for 4 to 24 hours.
- Bake, covered with foil, at 375F for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 minutes longer. Let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Jacksonville’s Toast of the Coast (The Junior League of Jacksonville, Inc., 2005).