Summer Vegetable Lasagna
- Yield 12 servings
This summer vegetable lasagna is simple and much lighter than those made with white sauce that are available frozen. You can use a soy-based cheese and egg substitute for the dairy cheese and eggs in this recipe.
- Summer Vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- Cheese Mixture:
- 1 (15-ounce) tub low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup low-fat crumbled feta cheese
- Final Assembly:
- 1 1/2 (27-ounce) jars of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 (9-ounce) package oven ready lasagna noodles
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, or Italian cheese mixture, shredded
- To make vegetables: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, zucchini, yellow squash, red peppers and mushrooms and saute 2 minutes. Add spinach, oregano and basil. Continue to saute 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- To make cheese: Combine ricotta, eggs, parmesan and feta cheese.
- To assemble: Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a nonreactive 13 x 9-inch baking pan, pour 1 cup sauce on bottom of pan and spread evenly to cover. Place 4 lasagna sheets in a single layer over sauce. Then continue layering with half cheese mixture. Add half sauteed vegetables. Add 1 cup shredded cheese. Top with 1 cup sauce. Top with 4 more lasagna sheets. Add remaining cheese mixture. Add 1 cup shredded cheese. Spread 1 cup marinara sauce to cover and top with 4 more lasagna sheets and then remaining vegetable mixture, marinara and shredded cheese.
- Bake loosely covered with foil 45 to 50 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes to lightly brown the top. Let lasagna sit at room temperature at least 20 minutes before serving; this will make it a bit easier to cut into portions.