Summer Vegetable Casserole
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Substitute soy cheese for a vegan version, and omit the okra, if you are not a fan. Most of the vegetables are rough chopped and simmered before being transferred to a 12 x 10-inch aluminum lasagna pan. You can freeze this casserole unbaked for future use.
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1medium Vidalia onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 3 hot banana peppers, cored, seeded and sliced
- 1medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 yellow squash, chopped
- 2cups okra, sliced
- 2 ears corn, kernels cut from the cob
- 1large tomato, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 2cups shredded low-fat cheddar or monterey jack or a combination of both cheeses
- 1/2cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick saute pan or skillet over high heat. Add onions, garlic, green peppers, red peppers and banana peppers and saute 3 minutes. Add zucchini, yellow squash, okra and corn; continue to saute 2 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce and basil. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a 12 x 10 x 2-inch pan (you can use a disposable lasagna pan) and top with cheese and crumbs. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes until heated through and brown on top. Cool slightly before serving.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 186
- Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 12mg
- Sodium 556mg
- Carbohydrate 19g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 10g