- Yield: 6 servings
- 4ounces sliced bacon
- 1pound fresh baby lima beans, or 1 cup frozen baby lima beans
- -- Salt to taste
- 4-- ears sweet corn
- 1 1/2tablespoons olive oil
- 1small sweet onion, chopped
- 1large garlic clove, minced
- 12ounces grape tomatoes, cut into halves (about 1 1/2 pints)
- 1tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/3cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4cup arugula leaves
- -- Pepper to taste
- Garlic Croutons:
- 6-- 1/2-inch slices crusty bread (use slices from the middle of the loaf)
- -- Olive oil
- -- Garlic clove
- -- Fine sea salt
- For the Succotash, Fry the bacon in a skillet until brown and crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings. Crumble the bacon. Cook the lima beans in boiling salted water in a saucepan over medium heat for 10 minutes or just until tender. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process; drain. Cut the tops of the corn kernels into a bowl using a sharp knife, reserving the juices.
- Heat the olive oil with the reserved bacon drippings over medium heat. Cook the onion in the olive oil mixture until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the garlic, cook for 1 minute, stirring constatnly. Add the corn and juices, tomatoe and vinegar and mix well.
- Cook until the tomatoes begin to lose their shape, stirring constantly but gently. Remove from the heat. Stir in the beans and 1/2 of the bacon. Let stand until room temperature. Add the basil, arugula, salt and pepper and mix gently. Spoon the succotash over the Garlic Croutons on the serving platter. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining bacon.
- For the Garlic Crouton, brush both sides of the bread with olive oil. Heat a lightly oiled well-seasoned ridged grill pan over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Grill the bread in the hot pan until both sides are golden brown. Rub the cut sides of a garlic clove on 1 side of each slice and sprinkle with fine sea salt.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Panama City’s Bay Fetes (The Junior League of Panama City, Inc., 2003.