Summer Squash Ribbons with 3-Herb Pesto & Farmer’s Market Roasted Corn
- Yield: <p>4-5 </p> servings
- 3medium (7-inch) zucchini squash
- 3medium (7-inch) yellow summer squash
- 3/4cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4cups fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 1 1/4cups fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/2cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2medium green onions, white tips and green stems chopped and separated
- 3/8teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2tablespoons Meyer lemon juice or fresh lemon juice of choice
- 2teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8cup packaged or canned roasted salted almonds, about 12 almonds)
- 1large fresh white corn on the cob, remove kernels
- 5pieces mini tri-colored sweet peppers, cut 1/4-inch rings
- 1cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1tablespoon champagne vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- With a wide blade vegetable peeler, make zucchini and summer squash ribbons by peeling lengthwise. Peel 3 times down one side and make a quarter turn peel 3 more times. Continue to make quarter turns and peel 3 times until center seeds show. Discard seed centers. Toss squash ribbons in 2-tablespoons oil and set aside.
- In a large food processor, combine 1-cup cilantro, 1-cup basil, parsley, green onion white tips, salt, black pepper, red pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, ¼-cup Parmesan, and almonds; pulse until finely minced. Pour ½-cup olive oil in a steady stream into the minced mixture while blending. Blend until well combined and set aside.
- In a large high-walled skillet, heat 1-tablespoon olive oil on medium-high heat. Add corn kernels, sweet pepper rings, tomato halves, and garlic. Roast until corn is slightly brown and tomatoes are blistered, about 3-minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour roasted relish into a bowl and toss with remaining ¼-cup chopped cilantro.
- Return skillet to stove; add 1-tablespoon olive oil to skillet. Sauté squash ribbons for 3-5 minutes or until just beginning to wilt yet still slightly tender-crisp. Gently fold in 3-herb pesto and cook for 1-2 minutes warm. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour pesto summer squash ribbons into a serving dish. Top with roasted corn relish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan, green onions and chopped basil.