Summer Squash Lemon Soup
- Yield: 5 servings
- 2-- onions, chopped
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 4 to 6-- garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-- leek, chopped
- 6-- summer squash, chopped
- 5cups chicken broth
- -- Pinch of chopped fresh thyme, or dried thyme to taste
- -- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 2-- strips of lemon peel
- -- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, garnish
- -- Pine nuts, garnish
- Saute the onions in the olive oil in a saucepan until translucent. Stir in the garlic and leek. Add the squash and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes. Add the thyme, Tabasco sauce and lemon peel. Puree in a blender or food processor. Pour into soup bowls. Garnish with cheese and pine nuts.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Greater Covington’s Roux To Do (Junior League of Greater Covington, Louisiana, 2004).