Low-Fat Summer Squash Casserole
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Yellow squash is topped with reduced-fat Cheddar cheese.
- 2 pounds yellow squash (about 8) sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, optional
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Boil the squash and onion in a saucepan in a small amount of water over medium to high heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well. Combine the squash and onion and sour cream, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and basil in a mixing bowl. Pour into the casserole dish. Combine the breadcrumbs, Cheddar cheese, margarine and paprika. Sprinkle over the squash mixture. Bake for 20 minutes.