Summer Squash Canoes with Feta and Tomatoes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 6medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out (optional), cut in 2-inch lengths
- 4medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out (optional), cut in 2-inch lengths
- 2large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3cup chopped, pitted kalamata olives
- 1cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4cup unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1tablespoon dried oregano
- 1tablespoon minced fresh oregano or basil
- 1/2pound tofu, crumbled (optional)
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cover a large baking pan or roasting pan (12 by 18 inches) with foil or parchment paper.
- Place onions on bottom of pan and arrange squash in rows over onions. (If squash are scooped, place scooped side up. If not scooped, place cut side down.) Scatter tomatoes and olives over the squash.
- Combine feta, breadcrumbs, dried oregano and fresh oregano or basil in a small bowl. Add tofu, if using. Scatter cheese mixture over tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil, squeeze lemon juice over all and season with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes until topping is golden brown and squash is cooked through. Makes 4 to 6 entree servings.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 253
- Fat 16g
- Cholesterol 22mg
- Sodium 388mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 7g
- Protein 9g