Summer Squash Canoes with Feta and Tomatoes
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
If you don't feel like scooping the center out of the squash, place the cut squash flat side down in the pan and cover with the topping before baking.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 6 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out (optional), cut in 2-inch lengths
- 4 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out (optional), cut in 2-inch lengths
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped, pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or basil
- 1/2 pound tofu, crumbled (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cover a large baking pan or roasting pan (12 by 18 inches) with foil or parchment paper.
- Place onions on bottom of pan and arrange squash in rows over onions. (If squash are scooped, place scooped side up. If not scooped, place cut side down.) Scatter tomatoes and olives over the squash.
- Combine feta, breadcrumbs, dried oregano and fresh oregano or basil in a small bowl. Add tofu, if using. Scatter cheese mixture over tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil, squeeze lemon juice over all and season with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes until topping is golden brown and squash is cooked through. Makes 4 to 6 entree servings.