Quinoa and Raisin Salad Stuffed in Tomatoes
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 10 mins
When tomatoes are at their best, serve with fruit and grain salad.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup California raisins
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl; cover and chill until ready to use.
- To prepare salad, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in quinoa and simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until all liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork then stir in raisins; let cool. Transfer to a large bowl with celery, onion and thyme. Add dressing and toss well to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour then stir in walnuts. (Salad may be made 24 hours in advance, adding walnuts just before serving.)
- Remove a slice from the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out seeds with a small spoon. Place on individual salad plates and fill with salad, spooning any extra onto the plate around the tomatoes.