- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Taste the freshness of summer in this delightful dish.
- 1 -- unbaked (9-inch) pie shell
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 -- eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8-ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 -- Roma tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Fit the pie shell into a 9-inch quiche pan. Prick the bottom and sides with a fork. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Saute the bell pepper, onion and garlic in the olive oil in a skillet for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the basil. Whisk the eggs, half-and-half, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in the vegetable mixture, Monterey Jack cheese and Parmesan cheese. Pour into the piecrust and top with the tomato slices. Bake at 375F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Cover the edges on the piecrust browning. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Wheeling’s Wild and Wonderful (The Junior League of Wheeling, Inc., 2003).