Summer Panzanella Salad
- Yield 6 servings
Tomatoes, kale and corn mix for a fresh bread salad with a classic dressing.
- 8 ounces French baguette, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 2 ounces baby kale or arugula
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Toss bread with olive oil, salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet, and toast in oven until lightly brown.
- Cut kernels from corn cobs and place in a large bowl with bread. Add tomato halves and kale.
- To prepare vinaigrette, combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour over salad. Serve within 15 minutes so bread doesn’t get too soggy.
To cut corn from the cob, place one end in a bowl and use a sharp chef’s knife to cut kernels off. To “milk,” use the flat side o the blade to scrape the cob.