Fresh Summer Squash Casserole
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
Whole-milk ricotta makes this casserole extra creamy, but the part-skim variety will work just as well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 12ounces whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 6ounces feta cheese or combination of goat and feta cheeses
- 1/2cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 12ounces cooked short pasta (such as gemelli or penne)
- 2medium zucchini, cut into thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2cup cracker crumbs
- 1tablespoon cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add tomatoes and sauté over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Add chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- Combine ricotta, feta and milk in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Add cooked pasta, tomatoes, zucchini, cheese mixture and basil; stir gently.
- Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle butter evenly over top. Sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano, if using. Cover and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 378
- Fat 17g
- Cholesterol 46mg
- Sodium 348mg
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 16g