Summer Fruit Crisp
- Yield 4 servings
A fruit crisp is a crunchy, "crack-through-the-crusty-shell" eating experience.
- Fruit Filling:
- 5 cups sliced peaches, plums, nectarines and/or berries
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- Crisp Topping:
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat or unbleached all purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat granola or Grape Nuts cereal
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 6 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter or soy margarine, cut into tablespoons
- To make filling: Preheat oven to 375F. Make fruit filling by combining all ingredients and mixing gently; set aside.
- To make topping: Combine all ingredients except butter in a medium bowl. Cut in pieces of butter until mixture looks like a coarse paste. Place the fruit(s) in an 10 x 8-inch baking dish; spread topping evenly over surface. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until fruit is tender and the top is crunchy and golden.