Summer Corn Wheat Berry Salad
- Yield 4 servings
Sweet corn, bell pepper and tomatoes show off summer in this surprisingly hearty salad of wheat berries and white beans.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, mined
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup wheat berries, soaked overnight or quick-soaked
- 1 cup corn off the cob, freshly cooked or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup dried white beans, cooked
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- To make the dressing: In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- To make the salad: Bring the water, add salt and wheat berries to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Turn heat down to low and simmer, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the wheat berries puff up a bit and become tender. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked wheat berries, corn, white beans, bell pepper, red onion, parsley, lemon zest and tomatoes.
- Drizzle the salad with the dressing and toss to combine. Top the salad with the crumbled feta and enjoy.