Chicken, Tortellini and Radicchio Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2cup sliced red onion
- 1-- garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2cup loosely packed basil, lightly crushed to bruise the leaves, or 1 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 3/4pound skinless boneless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- 1pound frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/3cup balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2-- 15.5 ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained (about 3 cups)
- 2large heads Treviso or Chioggia radicchio (about 20 ounces total), cored, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 1large tomato, chopped
- 1/3cup jarred sliced banana peppers, drained
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish, if desired
In large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add red onion and garlic clove, saute until onion is translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add chicken and basil and stir-fry until chicken is golden brown on all sides and cooked through. Remove from skillet, cover and chill.
Meanwhile, cook tortellini as directed on package. Run cold water over tortellini gently to cool, toss with vinegar, olive oil, and garbanzo beans. Cover and chill.
Line plates with radicchio, top with chopped tomatoes and banana peppers. Top lettuce with 1/4 of the tortellini mixture and finish with 1/4 of the chicken mixture. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired. May be made ahead and assembled just before serving. Makes 4 servings.