Sugar and Almond Cookies
- Yield: 30 servings
- 1 2/3cups unbleached bread flour
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 3/4cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, chopped and softened
- 1-- egg
- 2tablespoons water
- 1 1/2tablespoons sugar crystals
- 1/3cup finely chopped almonds or hazelnuts
- Mix the flour and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the butter and mix well first with a spoon and then with your hands to form a dough. Shape into a ball. Roll into a square 1/4-inch thick on a work surface. Cut into 1-inch-wide and 2-inch-long pieces with a knife or pizza cutter.
- Beat the egg with the water in a small bowl. Brush over the dough; sprinkle with the sugar crystals and almonds. Arrange on a 12×17-inch cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place on the center oven rack and bake at 425F for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Serve with a glass of milk. Store in an airtight container for several weeks.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Stig Hansen’s Cooking Danish, A Taste of Denmark (Eden, Utah, 2007).