- Yield: 12-14 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- 2/3cup dark or golden raisins
- 1-3/4cup non-fat milk
- 2tablespoons olive oil or walnut oil
- 1/2cup finely diced Golden Delicious apple
- 1/2cup finely chopped California walnuts
- 1/3cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2teaspoons dried sage
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon black pepper
- 2-1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- In a small bowl, cover the raisins with water and let sit 1 minute then drain. Let the raisins stand for 30 minutes, to absorb the moisture that remains on their skins.
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Grease standard muffin tins, line them with cupcake papers, or spray them with non-stick coating.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, apple, walnuts, applesauce, sage, sugar, salt and pepper. Combine the flour and baking powder and sift them together onto a piece of waxed paper. Add the flour mixture and raisins to the milk mixture and stir with a fork until the batter is blended.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin tins, filling each cup almost full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from the tins and transfer the muffins to a rack to cool slightly, then serve warm.