The National Turkey Federation
- 1/2pound turkey breakfast sausage
- 1/2cup finely chopped onion
- 1cup chopped figs
- 1cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1-- egg
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3pounds turkey tenderloins, butterflied
- -- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/4cup apricot preserves
- 1tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1/4teaspoon ground ginger
In small nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, saute sausage and onions 4 to 5 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onions are tender. Drain and set aside.
In medium bowl, combine figs, bread crumbs, almonds, egg, salt, thyme and pepper. Place 1 cup stuffing mixture down center of each tenderloin, folding sides of tenderloin to cover stuffing. Place roll seam side down in 10 x 15 x 1-inch baking pan, lightly sprayed with vegetable cooking spray.
Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 165F.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, prepare glaze: over medium heat, combine preserves, margarine and ginger. Heat until melted and warm. Brush turkey rolls with glaze.
Continue to bake 8 to 10 minutes and the internal temperature reaches 170F and turkey is lightly browned.
To serve, cut rolls, on the diagonal, into 1-inch slices.