- Yield 4 servings
Try this savory trout stuffed with a delicious onion and mushroom mixture then grilled over hot coals.
- 4 -- trout, cleaned, 10-ounces or 10-12 inches
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dill
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed bay leaf
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make a roux with butter, flour and wine. Then add all other ingredients and stuff each trout cavity. Place each trout individually on a piece of greased, heavy-duty aluminum foil. Fold foil together at the top, leaving a lot of space inside around trout. Place foil packets on charcoal grill, filled with grey coals. Cover and grill partially and cook about 20 minutes. Check 1 package at that time. Trout meat should be white.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Birmingham’s Magic (Birmingham, Alabama, 1982).