Stuffed Sweet Peppers
- Yield servings
A great vegetarian main dish, these stuffed peppers are filled with rice, tomatoes and garbanzo beans.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 4 -- green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -- (14 1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 4 medium green bell peppers, cut lengthwise in half, seeded
- 1 -- (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in pureé
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 -- (8 3/4-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/3 cup dried currants or raisins
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot; cook and stir rice, onion and parsley 3 to 5 minutes, or until rice begins to brown. Stir in cinnamon, pepper and salt. Gradually add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook green pepper halves in boiling water 5 to 7 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender; drain.
- Combine tomatoes, honey, and crushed red pepper in 13 x 9-inch baking pan; mix well. Remove 1/4 cup sauce; set aside. Arrange pepper halves on sauce in baking pan. When rice is cooked, remove from heat; stir in garbanzo beans, dried currants and reserved 1/4 cup sauce. Divide rice evenly among pepper halves in baking pan. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.