Beef and Mushroom Stuffed Peppers
- Yield 6 servings
The filling is so good, you could even put it on its own in a casserole dish, bake it, and make a meal of it.
- 6 medium green bell peppers
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup (2-ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut tops off green peppers and remove core and seeds. Trim stem from tops and discard. Chop remaining tops; set aside. Arrange pepper shells in a steamer over boiling water, cover and steam 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the ground sirloin, mushrooms, onion and reserved chopped green pepper in a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cook over medium heat until beef is brown and crumbly, about 8 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. Add tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add rice.
- Spoon mixture into the pepper shells, then place peppers upright in an 8-inch-square baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake 15 minutes.