Stuffed New Potatoes
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
These tiny bites are a perfect appetizer for a cocktail party.
- 16 small red or white new potatoes
- -- Salt, to taste
- -- Water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 -- shallot, minced
- 6 to 8 -- shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 sprigs fresh dill, minced, plus 4 sprigs fresh dill for garnish
- -- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Boil potatoes in salted water 15 to 20 minutes until tender but not overly soft. Drain and cool. (This can be done up to 2 days prior to filling.)
- Heat oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Saute shallots and mushrooms 2 minutes until tender. Let cool.
- Place mushroom mixture, sour cream and chopped dill in a nonreactive small mixing bowl. Cut 3/4 inch off top of each potato with a paring knife. Remove a thin slice from bottom of each potato so it sits flat on a platter.
- Using a teaspoon or melon baller, remove some of pulp from each potato to form a shell to stuff. Remove as much as you can without breaking the shell. Place pulp in mixing bowl with sour cream mixture. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Stuff potato mixture into the shells with a spoon. Garnish with remaining dill sprigs by placing a tiny sprig atop each potato. Serve chilled on a platter.