Stuffed Mushrooms with Corn and Saffron
- Yield servings
Saffron blesses everything it comes in contact with, including these stuffed treats.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari or other soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 12 large cremini mushrooms, stems removed and discarded
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely diced yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads in 1/4 cup hot water or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup grated vegan Cheddar or mozzarella-style cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Prepare the mushrooms: Place the first 4 ingredients (olive oil through lemon juice) in an 8-inch casserole dish and mix well. Clean the mushrooms with a mushroom brush or a slightly damp cloth. Add the mushrooms to the casserole dish and allow them to sit in the marinade while you prepare the stuffing. Flip periodically to ensure an even coating.
- Prepare the stuffing: Place the olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the remaining ingredients, except the tarragon and the vegan cheese but including the saffron and its soaking water, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the tarragon and mix well.
- Fill the mushrooms with the stuffing mixture. You can form a small mound of stuffing on each mushroom. Top with the vegan cheese, if using, and bake for 20 minutes before serving.
From the book The 30 Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe, by Mark Reinfeld. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2012.