Stuffed Mushrooms with Corn and Saffron
- Yield: servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 2teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1tablespoon wheat-free tamari or other soy sauce
- 2tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 12large cremini mushrooms, stems removed and discarded
- Olive oil
- 2tablespoons finely diced yellow onion
- 3tablespoons diced celery
- 2cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/8teaspoon saffron threads in 1/4 cup hot water or vegetable stock
- 1/4cup plus 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 1/4cup corn
- 1/4teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2teaspoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1/4cup grated vegan Cheddar or mozzarella-style cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Prepare the mushrooms: Place the first 4 ingredients (olive oil through lemon juice) in an 8-inch casserole dish and mix well. Clean the mushrooms with a mushroom brush or a slightly damp cloth. Add the mushrooms to the casserole dish and allow them to sit in the marinade while you prepare the stuffing. Flip periodically to ensure an even coating.
- Prepare the stuffing: Place the olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the remaining ingredients, except the tarragon and the vegan cheese but including the saffron and its soaking water, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the tarragon and mix well.
- Fill the mushrooms with the stuffing mixture. You can form a small mound of stuffing on each mushroom. Top with the vegan cheese, if using, and bake for 20 minutes before serving.
From the book The 30 Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe, by Mark Reinfeld. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2012.