Stuffed Garden Peppers with fresh tomato sauce
- Yield: 4 servings
- 6medium Bell Peppers
- 1small diced onion
- 1cup dry minute rice
- 1pound chopped meat (I use beef)
- 1/4cup ketchup
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 5medium ripe tomatoes any kind
- 2medium carrots cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2tablespoons Olive or Vegetable Oil
- Cut off tops of peppers and remove seeds and most of membrane, being careful to keep peppers from breaking. Rinse well.
- Saute diced onion in oil until softened but not browned.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Put meat in a bowl and combine with cooled rice and onions, ketchup, and salt and pepper.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and put in blender; blend until almost liquidy.
- Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture. Put the peppers in a large sauce pot, and pour the tomatoes over the top.
- Add the carrots and sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low heat about one hour until the peppers and carrots are tender. You can occasionally baste the top with tomato liquid during cooking to keep it all nice and moist.