Stuffed French Toast
- Yield 9 servings
Ham and cheese add flavor and richness to this french toast.
- 1 -- (16-ounce) loaf French bread, cut into 18 slices
- 1 pound cooked ham, thinly sliced and chopped
- 9 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 6 -- eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Arrange 9 slices of the bread in a single layer in a lightly greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Layer each bread slice with some of the ham and 1 slice of the cheese. Top with the remaining bread slices. Whisk the milk, eggs, orange juice and vanilla in a bowl until blended. Pour over the prepared layers. Let stand for 10 minutes, turning once.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the French toast to the skillet. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, turning once. Remove to a lightly greased baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining butter and remaining French toast. Bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately. You may prepare 1 day in advance and store, covered, in the refigerator. Cook just before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Panama City’s Bay Fetes (The Junior League of Panama City, Inc., 2003).