Stuffed Chicken Kalamata
- Yield 6 servings
- 6 -- skinless, boneless, thin sliced chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup flower
- 2 -- eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 6 -- thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3 -- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leafs
- 6 tablespoons calamata olives, pitted and halved
- 3 teaspoons pine nuts, preferably roasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- Fresh pepper to taste
- 6 slices of bacon
- -- Canola or Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 cups spicy tomato sauce, recipe follows
- Spicy tomato sauce:
- -- (Can be done ahead of time, then reheated)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 small carrot, grated
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 -- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon capers with brine
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Italian mixed seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 -- 14 ounce canned peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- Pepper to taste.
With a meat mallet, lightly pound chicken breasts to flatten. Season with the salt and fresh pepper. Spread the cream cheese evenly on one end of the chicken breast. Cover with the fresh basil, the mozzarella cheese, the olives and pine nuts. Roll up the chicken breast. Wrap one slice of bacon around each rolled up chicken breast to form a little bundle. Secure both ends with a toothpick.
Coat each chicken bundle with flour. Dip bundles in beaten eggs, then in breadcrumbs to coat evenly. Heat oil to 325 degrees and deep-fry the chicken bundles for 3 to 4 minute, or until crispy and golden brown on the outside. Drain bundles on paper towel, then transfer them into a shallow baking dish and place in preheated oven at 400F for 15 minutes.
In a deep skillet heat butter and olive oil. Add the onions and carrots and saute for about 5 minutes until translucent. Increase heat and add the white wine. Cook for 1 minute until alcohol is evaporated. Add tomatoes and all other ingredients. mix well and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, remove chicken from the oven. Discard toothpicks and slice chicken bundles, crosswise to get 4 5 slices from each bundle.
Spoon 1/4 cup of the spicy tomato sauce on a plate and arrange chicken rolls on top. Serve with brown rice, mashed potato, grilled vegetables or your favorite side dish.