Stuffed Chicken Kalamata
- Yield: 6 servings
- 6-- skinless, boneless, thin sliced chicken breasts
- 1/4cup flower
- 2-- eggs, slightly beaten
- 1cup bread crumbs
- 6-- thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3-- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/4cup fresh basil leafs
- 6tablespoons calamata olives, pitted and halved
- 3teaspoons pine nuts, preferably roasted
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- -- Fresh pepper to taste
- 6slices of bacon
- -- Canola or Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2cups spicy tomato sauce, recipe follows
- Spicy tomato sauce:
- -- (Can be done ahead of time, then reheated)
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1small onion, diced
- 1/2small carrot, grated
- 1cup white wine
- 2-- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1tablespoon capers with brine
- 1tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1teaspoon Italian mixed seasoning
- 1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12-- 14 ounce canned peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- -- Pepper to taste.
With a meat mallet, lightly pound chicken breasts to flatten. Season with the salt and fresh pepper. Spread the cream cheese evenly on one end of the chicken breast. Cover with the fresh basil, the mozzarella cheese, the olives and pine nuts. Roll up the chicken breast. Wrap one slice of bacon around each rolled up chicken breast to form a little bundle. Secure both ends with a toothpick.
Coat each chicken bundle with flour. Dip bundles in beaten eggs, then in breadcrumbs to coat evenly. Heat oil to 325 degrees and deep-fry the chicken bundles for 3 to 4 minute, or until crispy and golden brown on the outside. Drain bundles on paper towel, then transfer them into a shallow baking dish and place in preheated oven at 400F for 15 minutes.
In a deep skillet heat butter and olive oil. Add the onions and carrots and saute for about 5 minutes until translucent. Increase heat and add the white wine. Cook for 1 minute until alcohol is evaporated. Add tomatoes and all other ingredients. mix well and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, remove chicken from the oven. Discard toothpicks and slice chicken bundles, crosswise to get 4 5 slices from each bundle.
Spoon 1/4 cup of the spicy tomato sauce on a plate and arrange chicken rolls on top. Serve with brown rice, mashed potato, grilled vegetables or your favorite side dish.