String Bean & Arugula Salad
- Yield 3 to 4 servings
Wilting the arugula with the hot, garlicky grilled beans makes this unusual pairing work wonders.
- 3/4 pound green and/or yellow string beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- 2 cups baby or regular arugula, trimmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the grill to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, toss the string beans with the olive oil and garlic. Let the beans rest for 10 minutes or so, then place the beans on a large square of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Fold the foil over the beans and fold down the ends of the foil twice.
- Place the foil packet on the grill, seam side up, and grill for 25 to 30 minutes. Let the beans cool for a few minutes, then combine them in a roomy bowl with the arugula, lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste, tossing until the arugula is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Grilling Vegan Style: 125 Fired-Up recipes to Turn Every Bite into a Backyard BBQby John Schlimm, Da Capo Press, 2012