- Yield 8 servings
A delicious torte made with layers of strawberries, whipped cream, and fluffy yellow cake
"This recipe was given to me by a co-worker many years ago. It became a family favorite, especially for my son."
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Mix shortening and sugar with an electric mixer. Blend in egg yolks, milk, flour and baking powder. Spread over bottoms of pans.
- For the topping, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add sugar, cream of tartar and salt; beat until thick and glassy. Spread over cake layers.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and then remove to plates. When completely cool, arrange strawberries over the egg-white topping side of one layer. Top with second layer, with the egg-white topping side down. Spread whipped cream on top.
Linda Robinson, Jamaica, Vt.