Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Flax Seed Rolled Oat Crust
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Flax Seed Rolled Oat Crust:
- 1cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4cup flaz seed meal*
- 1cup firm-packed light brown sugar
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2cup vegetable shortening, soy margarine or Smart Balance, softened
- 3cups sliced strawberries
- 3cups sliced rhubarb
- 3/4cup light brown sugar
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make crust: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture resembles a crumbly wet sand mixture. Spray an 8-inch-square baking dish with vegetable oil or rub with softened butter. Press half the crust mixture firmly into the pan and slightly up the sides of the pan. Reserve remaining mixture.
- To make filling: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour the filling into the crust and top with reserved topping mixture. Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes until filling is tender and crust is golden brown and crisp.
*Available in natural foods markets.