Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Flax Seed Rolled Oat Crust
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
- Flax Seed Rolled Oat Crust:
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup flaz seed meal*
- 1 cup firm-packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, soy margarine or Smart Balance, softened
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make crust: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture resembles a crumbly wet sand mixture. Spray an 8-inch-square baking dish with vegetable oil or rub with softened butter. Press half the crust mixture firmly into the pan and slightly up the sides of the pan. Reserve remaining mixture.
- To make filling: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour the filling into the crust and top with reserved topping mixture. Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes until filling is tender and crust is golden brown and crisp.
*Available in natural foods markets.