Strawberry Party Bites
- Yield 2 dozens
- Prep 15 minutes
- Cook 2 minutes
One-bite hors d’oeuvres combine sweet strawberries with ricotta and a bit of goat cheese.
A sprinkle of cracked black pepper and drizzle of olive oil lend a savory finish. This recipe may be easily doubled if you’d rather use the entire baguette. (Make sure to choose a slender loaf, about 2-inches in diameter.)
- 20 to 25 (1/2-inch-thick) slices baguette (2-inch diameter)
- 1 to 2 extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon soft goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Finely grated rind of 1 large orange
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- Set oven rack 4 to 5 inches from the broiling element. Heat broiler.
- Place bread rounds on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Broil about 90 seconds, watching carefully, until edges turn golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Combine ricotta, goat cheese, heavy cream, ½ teaspoon of the orange zest, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Process until completely smooth. Scrape into a small bowl. (Alternately, beat with a wooden spoon until as smooth as possible. Mixture may remain a bit grainy, which is fine.)
- To assemble, spread ricotta mixture on toasts. Top with 1 or 2 strawberry slices. Sprinkle with remaining orange zest, black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Cheryl Sternman Rule