Strawberry Orange Salad with Glazed Almonds
- Yield 10 servings
"This is my own recipe, and at family gatherings and reunions, this salad is always the first food to go. Everyone loves it. It has become our family's favorite food."
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion juice or 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 (9-ounce) package romaine, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 to 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 20 strawberries, halved
- 6 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- To prepare almonds, pour butter in a 9-inch-square baking pan. Combine egg white and sugar in a small bowl and beat with a whisk until frothy. Stir in almonds and coat well. Pour into pan.
- Bake 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove to wax paper to cool. When cool, break almonds apart.
- To prepare dressing, blend sugar, poppy seeds, mustard and salt with a mixer at low speed. Add vinegar and onion juice and beat at medium speed 3 minutes. Gradually add oil in a steady stream until mixture is thick. Pour in a jar with a lid and refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving.
- To prepare salad, combine romaine, spinach, oranges, strawberries and green onions in a large bowl. Add almonds. Shake dressing to blend; pour over salad. Toss gently. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Patsy Zant, Lamesa, Texas