Strawberry Orange Salad with Glazed Almonds
- Yield: 10 servings
"This is my own recipe, and at family gatherings and reunions, this salad is always the first food to go. Everyone loves it. It has become our family's favorite food."
- 2tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg white
- 1/4cup sugar
- 1cup sliced almonds
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1 1/2tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1teaspoon dry mustard
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/3cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2teaspoons onion juice or 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1cup canola oil
- 1 (9-ounce) package romaine, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 to 3cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 20 strawberries, halved
- 6 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- To prepare almonds, pour butter in a 9-inch-square baking pan. Combine egg white and sugar in a small bowl and beat with a whisk until frothy. Stir in almonds and coat well. Pour into pan.
- Bake 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove to wax paper to cool. When cool, break almonds apart.
- To prepare dressing, blend sugar, poppy seeds, mustard and salt with a mixer at low speed. Add vinegar and onion juice and beat at medium speed 3 minutes. Gradually add oil in a steady stream until mixture is thick. Pour in a jar with a lid and refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving.
- To prepare salad, combine romaine, spinach, oranges, strawberries and green onions in a large bowl. Add almonds. Shake dressing to blend; pour over salad. Toss gently. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Patsy Zant, Lamesa, Texas