Strawberry Herb Salad with Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 10 minutes
Add a bit of soft goat cheese, if you like, to bulk it up. Poppy seeds—a classic strawberry partner—add extra spark and textural interest.
- 1pint medium strawberries, cleaned, hulled, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2cups (tightly packed) baby arugula
- 1cup (loosely packed) cress (watercress, upland cress, or a combination), leaves and tender stems only
- 1cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, leaves and tender stems only
- 1/4cup (loosely packed) fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/4cup (loosely packed) fresh mint leaves
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/2teaspoon honey
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the sliced strawberries in a medium bowl.
- Fill a deep bowl with cool water. Add arugula, cress, parsley, tarragon and mint, swish around to clean, and lift into the basket of a salad spinner. Spin dry and transfer to a large salad bowl.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, poppy seeds, honey, salt and pepper until emulsified. (Or shake vigorously in a lidded jar.) Spoon 1 tablespoon vinaigrette over strawberries; toss gently to coat. Spoon 2 tablespoons vinaigrette over herbs; toss gently. Scrape berries over herbs. Taste, adding more vinaigrette if desired. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Cheryl Sternman Rule
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 91
- Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 61mg
- Carbohydrate 6g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 1g