Strawberry Fudge Ice Cream
- Yield 14 servings
Packaged fudge stands in for chocolate chips in this combo made with fresh strawberries.
This recipe uses a cooked custard that must be thoroughly chilled before placing in the ice cream freezer.
- Ice Cream:
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups pureed strawberries mixed with 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely diced strawberries
- 1 cup chocolate fudge, cut into bits
- Heat milks in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Combine sugar, flour and enough water to make a smooth paste. Add to milks. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Beat eggs slightly and stir into milk mixture very slowly. Stir in salt. Cook 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in puréed berries. Refrigerate until completely cool.
- Add heavy cream and vanilla. Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to instructions. Add diced strawberries and fudge bits. Makes about 7 cups.
Recipe by Beth Vohaus, courtesy of Miss Martha’s Ice Cream Crankin’