Strawberry Fudge Ice Cream
- Yield: 14 servings
This recipe uses a cooked custard that must be thoroughly chilled before placing in the ice cream freezer.
- Ice Cream:
- 3/4cup fat-free milk
- 3/4cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 3/4cup sugar
- 2tablespoons flour
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2cups pureed strawberries mixed with 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/3cups heavy cream
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4cup finely diced strawberries
- 1cup chocolate fudge, cut into bits
- Heat milks in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Combine sugar, flour and enough water to make a smooth paste. Add to milks. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Beat eggs slightly and stir into milk mixture very slowly. Stir in salt. Cook 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in puréed berries. Refrigerate until completely cool.
- Add heavy cream and vanilla. Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to instructions. Add diced strawberries and fudge bits. Makes about 7 cups.
Recipe by Beth Vohaus, courtesy of Miss Martha’s Ice Cream Crankin’
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 230
- Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 70g
- Sodium 85mg
- Carbohydrate 25g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 3g