Strawberry Festival Shortcake
- Yield: 10 to 10 servings
"Your family will make you a festival queen every time you serve this cream berry favorite."
- 2cups sliced strawberries
- 2cups granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4cup solid vegetable shortening
- 3 beaten egg yolks
- 2 1/4cups sifted all- purpose flour
- 3 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4cup cold water
- 1/4cup crushed strawberries
- 1teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1cup whipping cream
- 1/2cup confectioners' sugar
- whole berries for garnish
- Toss strawberries with 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Line two 9-inch round cake pans with wax paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream shortening and remaining granulated sugar. Add egg yolks; mix well. In separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder. In another bowl, mix water, crushed strawberries and almond extract. Alternately add dry and wet mixtures to creamed mixture. Fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into cake pans; bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
- Whip cream with confectioners’ sugar. Spread 1/3 of whipped cream on one cake layer. Top with sliced sugared strawberries. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining whipped cream on top and sides. Garnish with whole berries.
– Jennie Macaluso, Santa Fe, Texas