Mark Boughton Photography / styling by Teresa Blackburn
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2cups small fresh strawberries or large ones cut into halves
- 1 3/4cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4cup milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened
- 3/4cup powdered sugar
- 3tablespoons strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Place strawberries in a food processor; process until puréed. You should have 2/3 cup purée.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Mix together milk, vanilla, lime juice and 2/3 cup strawberry purée.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until well combined and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
- To prepare frosting, beat butter and cream cheese together using an electric mixer. Beat in powdered sugar and jam. Frost tops of cupcakes.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 320
- Fat 22g
- Cholesterol 75mg
- Sodium 170mg
- Carbohydrate 26g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 4g