Fresh Strawberry Bread
- Yield 12 pieces
The strawberries in this bread offer a high antioxidant profile, as well as a healthy dose of Vitamin C. Great for breakfast or snacks.
A great bread made with fresh strawberries. Any red fruit juice can be used for the cranberry-strawberry juice.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup margarine or butter, melted
- 1/3 cup cranberry-strawberry juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Beat egg and egg white slightly in a small bowl; stir in margarine, juice and lemon rind. Add to flour mixture, stirring until well combined. Stir in berries. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes until pick inserted in bread comes out clean; cover loosely with foil if it browns too fast. Remove from pan to wire rack and cool completely.