Strawberry and Pretzel Salad
- Yield: servings
I got this recipe from my aunt who lived back East. Every summer we went to her place, and I made it all the time.
- 2 1/2 to 3cups crushed pretzels (place the pretzels between 2 sheets of wax paper and crush with a rolling pin)
- 1cup plus 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4cup melted butter
- 8ounces cream cheese, softened
- 12ounces whipped topping
- 1 (6-ounce) box strawberry Jell-O
- 2cups boiling water
- 2 (16-ounce packages) frozen sliced strawberries
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (250 degrees if you’re using a glass pan). Mix the crushed pretzels with 3 teaspoons of the sugar and the butter, and spread in a greased 13 x 9-inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool.
Mix the cream cheese and 1 cup of the sugar until smooth. Fold in the whipped topping. Spread on top of the pretzel layer to the edges of the dish.
In a medium-size bowl, dissolve the Jell-O in the boiling water. Add the strawberries, mixing well. Refrigerate until slightly thickened. Pour over the cream cheese layer.
Refrigerate until firm and ready to serve. Note: Raspberry Jell-O and frozen raspberries may be substituted for strawberry Jell-O and frozen strawberries.
Yield: 12 to 16 servings
Tips From Our Test Kitchen:
This dish is sweet enough to have for dessert.